Alaskan tourism summary 2011
March 04, 2012
The Resource Development Council has posted a succinct overview of Alaska tourism industry in 2011.
A few points from the document are noted:
- Air traffic to Alaska is up in 2011 compared to 2010.
- Cruise ship passengers numbers were essentially flat comparing 2010 to 2011.
- The outlook for 2012 is for increased cruise ship passengers, about 100,000 in total.
- In 2011, road traffic amounted to only 75K visitors, compared to 883K cruise ship visitors and 593K air visitors.
- The average visitor spent $935 per person in Alaska. The total visitor expenditures amounted to an estimated $3.4B in expenditures.
- About 36,000 Alaskans were employed as a result of the tourism expenditures.