CBC’s northern mines map
December 04, 2013
The CBC has posted a northern mines map. It is interesting if not accurate. A few locations are wrongly located. A few statuses are incorrect.
See below for source a) for the link.
A few observations:
- Not clear what the small numbers in the circles are supposed to represent.
- In Yukon the Wolverine mine is operational. So is Cantung. Missing are advanced development projects Eagle, Casino, Wellgreen, Carmacks.
- In NWT Pine Point missing, Nico (Fortune Minerals) is in the wrong spot. Where’s the Con mine in Yellowknife ?
- In Nunavut, Izok missing. Newmont’s Hope Bay project is located on the mainland, not on Victoria Island. Missing are other advanced exploration projects such as
Peregrin Diamond’s projects on Baffin Island, and other diamond plays located between Repulse Bay and Igloolik. An iron ore project. What about Meliadine near Rankin?
On the whole, not a very accurate map of mines and mining projects in the north by CBC. There are a lot of mistakes.
It would be a more helpful/powerful tool it the links would lead to further information about each mine.
- a) http://www.cbc.ca/north/interactive/mine-map/